|Grade 6 STEM students programming with Scratch|
Two weeks ago was the International Hour of Code. Each of our elementary schools participated, and a total of over 7,300 hours of coding by classes was logged for K-5 students. In addition to these hours, students in many classes at both of our middle schools participated in coding activities in their core subject classes and STEM classes, as well as an elective coding class in eighth grade, but these hours were not tallied. Coding is also offered as an elective in our high school.
I've posted just a few of the photos of students coding during this time to give you a glimpse of some of the many activities that took place.
|Minnewashta Elementary Kindergartener |
illustrating sequences, photo by Shelly Traver.
|Minnewashta Elementary 1st Grade |
made binary bracelets.
|Scenic Heights Elementary students |
coded Ozobots, photo by Melinda Barry.
|Scenic Heights Kindergarteners programmed |
Bee Bots, photo by Amy Altenberg.
|Deephaven Elementary held an after school |
Coding Party, photo by Kelli Whiteside.
|6th Grade STEM classes using Scratch|
|Clear Springs Elementary students trying one another's |
coded games, photo by Tiffany Miley.
|Clear Springs Elementary students using |
Dash And Dot, photo by Tiffany Miley
|6th Grade Science programming Spheros|
|6th Grade Scratch project|
|6th Grade STEM illustrating loops|
To learn more about coding in Minnetonka K-12, please see some of the related posts listed below:
- Minnetonka’s Coding Program for Every K-5 Student Now Assessed on Report Cards
- Why Teach Coding? Same Reasons to Teach Writing Even When Not All Students Will Be Writers
- Behind the Code: Using Spheros in Middle School for Deeper Learning
- Beyond Coding and Computer Science in Schools: The Need for Computer Ethics
- Paperless Hall Passes in School: There's a (Student Made) App For That
- What Are Minnetonka Teachers Learning About This Summer? A Lot--During Our Professional Development Classes!
- Over 20% of Minnetonka Teachers Are Learning Online This Summer
- The Hub: Minnetonka Makerspaces Launch
- Dancing Robots Programmed in Grade 6 STEM Class
- Video Game Design and Computer Coding at High School
- Minnetonka Linear Algebra 8th Graders Use Bootstrap to Code
- More Than an Hour of Code: Tonka Coding & Computer Science Programs Now in Year Three
- 7,843 Hours of Coding this Week @TonkaSchools
- Computer Coding Starting in Kindergarten
- Minnetonka Elementary Coding
- Details about the Curriculum and Program
- What's Cool in Our School
- Minnetonka Summer Coding Camp