One of the many benefits of an iPad in physical education classes is its two cameras and easy to use video editing software. For example, Minnetonka students use these to document their learning and teach others fitness and sports skills. One such project students enjoy is creating instructional videos of themselves teaching skills such as soccer, basketball, or hockey or teaching fitness activities like jump roping, yoga, or pilates. Two example student projects are shown above. This project's requirements are to show the audience the proper way to perform the skills included in the video. Students were tasked to include step by step instructions and drills to ensure the viewer can correctly learn the content.
|Screen cast for Team Handball|
|Sample Student Activity Log|
Each of these activities demonstrates how technology is used to augment and accelerate learning for physical education students in Minnetonka Schools. Communication, collaboration, creativity, and authentic and real world learning are important skills for today’s students, and the use of technology for learning enhances this learning.
Thanks to Eddie, Keegan, and Robert for permission to share their Basketball Skills Video and to Hunter, Harrison, and Nick to share their Soccer Skills Video.
- A New Twist on a Band Playing Test: Solo Trios with GarageBand
- Six Years with Schoology: Setting Expectations for the Future
- Minnetonka Top 100+ Ideas for 1:1 Integration in 5th grade, English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and World Language
- Free iBook about Minnetonka's 1:1 iPad Apple Distinguished Program: Four+ Years Transforming Learning
- Students Learn to Visualize a Process: A Valuable Life Skill for Everyone
- Technology Speed Dating Professional Development
- My Christmas Ed Tech Moonshot Wish: A Marriage Between Apple & Google
- Bigger, Better, Faster: New iPads Coming for Year Six in Minnetonka's 1:1 Program; First Devices Cost $0.38/school day
- Tip #4 for a Successful 1:1 Implementation- Make Full Use of the iPad as a Formative Assessment Tool